: Vice President Administration – Beacon Interfaith Housing Collaborative
St. Paul, MN
Reporting to the CEO/President, the Vice President of Administration is a key leader in guiding the strategic growth of the organization. The VP of Administration will drive financial planning and business modeling, lead Beacon’s human resources strategies to shape our organizational culture and ensure the physical, technological and administrative tools and processes to meet Beacon’s ambitious organizational goals.
Given Beacon’s stage of organizational development and culture, the best candidate will be a thoughtful, strategic thinker who is collaborative and able to also directly project manage initiatives as needed.
This position serves as a member of the Executive Leadership Team along with the CEO/President, the four vice-presidents (Housing, Advancement & Communications, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion and Policy & Organizing). This position has two direct reports, a Controller & a Director of Human Resources, and four additional staff in the division.
Beacon is a fast-paced organization with an entrepreneurial spirit that needs to build out its organizational infrastructure to support our planned growth and change. Beacon is committed to becoming a more racially equitable organization and aligning our policies and practices to achieve our diversity, equity and inclusion goals. Beacon has a newly unionized workforce and is currently in collective bargaining negotiations.
MISSION AND ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND
Beacon Interfaith Housing Collaborative has a vision that ‘all people have a home’. We are an experienced housing organization that operates supportive and affordable homes, develops affordable and supportive housing, shelters families, and organizes to impact housing policy. Our focus is on households who make less than $30,000 a year and those who are experiencing homelessness. The nearly 100 congregations who make up our collaborative are putting their faiths into action through leadership, advocacy, organizing, and service.
At Beacon we believe that systemic racism causes housing inequities. As a learning organization we are interested in adding individuals who hold high levels of cultural competency and who are willing to learn and work with others to deepen our capacity to address bias and racial inequities. Visit our website for more information about our strategies, programs and how our values of risk taking, race equity and inclusive decision making supports our learning and continued evolution.
Beacon has recently voluntarily recognized a union for employees. At the time of this posting, Beacon and Union Employees are engaged with and committed to a collective bargaining process with the shared goal and mission that ‘all people have a home’.
For more information, check out www.beaconinterfaith.org
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
- Contribute to the strategic growth and decision-making of the organization through financial forecasting and risk assessment, human resources and administrative infrastructure.
- Work with CEO and executive leadership team to develop organizational goals, plans, financial models, budgets, and policies
- With the CEO, lead board committee(s) in developing goals and strategies and evaluating outcomes.
- Foster collaboration between divisions to ensure shared organizational goals and strategies are met
- Contribute to strategies to increase diversity, inclusion and equity within the organization.
- Ensure the overall quality of financial and administrative activities for the organization.
- Ensure multi-year planning and prioritization of resources to meet goals. Develop annual goals for the division.
- Develop diversity, equity and inclusion goals for the division and drive strategies to meet the goals.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Assess staffing and resource needs to meet organizational goals.
- Drive the financial planning of the organization including the annual budget, multi-year financial projections and business modelling
- Perform risk management by analyzing the organization’s operational and financial risk points
- Ensure adequate cash flow for the organization.
- Ensure financial controls and compliance with legal and contractual obligations.
- Manage the organization’s financial assets and banking and borrowing relationships.
- Develop and revise the financial policies and procedures to support the growth of the organization.
- Oversee the controller and ensure all financial functions are being carried out appropriately and effectively.
- Build stable high performing staff team within the division
- Define clear staff roles and responsibilities and prioritize work assignments to assure goals are met
- Hire, evaluate and transition staff according to policy and procedures
- Ensure that staff receive adequate training and professional development
- Promote a positive working environment through team building and employee appreciation
Planning & Administrative Processes
- Drive the development and implementation of human resource strategies to support and grow a high-performing employee workforce and support a diverse, inclusive and collaborative organizational culture.
- Drive the development and implementation of human resources policies and practices to increase the racial diversity of the staff and ensure compliance with employment law.
- Lead the overall strategy in collective bargaining and ensure compliance with labor law and the collective bargaining agreement.
- Develop a multi-year compensation and benefits strategy to retain and recruit a talented workforce.
- Drive the development and implementation of standard planning and decision-making policies and processes across the organization
- Ensure the development of written policies, practices and procedures across the organization.
- Develop and implement administrative functions that support each division in carrying out their work.
- Ensure a productive work environment through management of office space, equipment, supplies and IT.
- Develop and implement vendor policies and practices that support our organizational goals and are in compliance with our contractual obligations.
- Develop and implement IT strategy and resources to support the growth of the organization.
- Develop and implement equipment and policies to ensure the security of organization data and systems.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Develop and maintain productive, positive working relationships with other staff members.
- Maintain a level of flexibility with all staff, offering assistance to others as appropriate.
- Work effectively and respectfully with individuals without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, disability, sex and/or age.
- Work within all agency policies, government regulations and the law.
- Perform other tasks, responsibilities, and special projects as assigned or directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, strategic management, human resources, or administration or related major.
- Substantial experience in an organizational leadership and senior financial management and support functions, including human resources and technology.
- Demonstrated understanding of key human resources strategies including developing and implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion policies and practices.
- Demonstrated understanding of key financial concepts and strategic management required.
- Successful track record in policy and procedure development and implementation.
- A strong visionary and a broad strategic thinker and implementor, with a collaborative work style and approach.
- Keen analytic, organization, prioritization and problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision-making.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and dedication to organizational mission.
Beacon Interfaith Housing Collaborative is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.