POSITION PROFILE: Chief Executive Officer - Sabathani Community Center
LOCATION: Minneapolis, MN
kp prime search , the retained search division of kpCompanies is leading the search for a high-energy, passionate, confident, resilient, & tenacious, visionary leader with a track record of success in community, non-profit and/or business management & growth. The Chief Executive Officer of our client, Sabathani Community Center, must have an entrepreneurial mindset, team building skills, financial strength, strategic planning experience, a clear focus on the strategies, tactics and desired outcomes to further its mission to provide people of all ages and all cultures with essential resources that inspire them to improve their lives and build a strong community.
Sabathani Community Center is a social enterprise transforming & creating positive outcomes in the lives of all people in the community. Founded in 1966 by residents and members of the Sabathani Baptist Church in South Minneapolis, the organization has served the community for over 50 years. Sabathani is focussed in four specific areas: Building Strong, Healthy Families; Creating School Success for Children and Teens; Keeping Seniors Active and Healthy; and Providing Community-Based Health Resources.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the growth, financial stability, and overall performance of Sabathani Community Center. The successful candidate is an entrepreneurial leader, who skillfully leads, manages, and inspires people including staff, participants, volunteers, board of directors, and other stakeholders to be and perform their best. The Chief Executive Officer must have empathy for and care deeply about the people we engage, their healing, recovery, and well-being.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Guides and leads the board to effectively develop and execute strategic plans:
- Leads the strategic planning process. Ensures that the nonprofit visionary philosophy and purposes are practiced throughout the organization. Ensures that annual and long-range plans are developed and implemented, and that goals and objectives are achieved.
- Informs the board members and chair of programs, funding, and organizational changes.
- Formulates plans for Board approval and administers major policies. Demonstrates leadership through strategic planning.
- In collaboration with the board, advocate on behalf of American Decendants of Slavery (ADOS) and BIPOC Communities.
- Prepares agenda and monthly reports for the Board. Prepares and presents periodic reports on activities and special reports as needed.
- Directs Fiscal Management
- Ensures SCC's consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
- Oversees financial planning and forecasting, prepares and implements an annual budget to ensure achievement of the goals, and ensures that funds are allocated properly to reflect current needs and future demands.
- Manages and monitors budgets across departmental lines.
- Approves and monitors, with the Chief Financial Officer, all financial and accounting activities for the agency.
- Prepares the annual budget in collaboration with the Board and senior managers.
- Serves as the primary signatory of all contracts and agreements involving the agency.
- Implements systems of internal controls to safeguard SCC funds; ensures fiscal accounting and reporting in accordance with standards of accounting for non-profit entities.
- Oversees Human Resource Administration
- Ensures that an effective management team and staff are in place and functioning to their fullest potential.
- Provides leadership for Equal Employment Opportunity in all areas of employment according to national, state, and local personnel standards, guidelines, and laws.
- Ensures compliance with applicable laws, including state and city certifications.
- Maintains a climate which attracts, retains, and motivates high quality individuals, both professional and volunteer.
- Responsible for fund development, including fundraising and grant writing. Maintains current funding sources and seeks new and diversified sources of income. Ensures that data collection, compilation, analysis, projection, statistics, and records are maintained on all contracts and grants.
- Oversees Community Relations:
- Develops and maintains sound relationships with other community organizations, religious organizations, planning agencies, funding agencies, government agencies and officials and other groups/coalitions as appropriate.
- Serves as spokesperson for the nonprofit and ensures that it is properly presented to its various stakeholders.
- Ensures exceptional public relations. Serves as a spokesperson and representative for the organization to foster superior community relations with other agencies, clients, financial supporters, and the media.
- Assist Board in the development and implementation of a public relations strategy designed to communicate the mission, programs, and services to the community.
- Directs and participates personally in a continuing program of public relations designed to achieve the best possible public understanding, acceptance and support; fulfills speaking engagements and writes articles and reports on subjects related to issues which concern the agency and its constituency.
- Creates other effective outlets to represent the agency, including an effective and robust social media strategy.
- Represents the organization at national, state, and local meetings, conferences, and conventions as required. Attends regularly scheduled or ad hoc meetings as appropriate.
- Maintains professional affiliations to enhance professional growth and development and to keep up with the latest trends in agency administration.
- Oversees and directs the day-to-day operations, implements and administers SCC policies and procedures:
- Oversee facilities. Ensure the effective use, management, security, and upkeep of association facilities, owned and rented.
- Develops and/or seeks out programs that respond to identified community and constituent needs; ensures that programs are properly administered in a fiscally sound manner and audits program performance to ensure efficacy.
- Serves as community advocate for constituents. Participates in policy development and debate affecting constituents and stakeholders. Keeps abreast of legislation affecting SCC constituents.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors and/or Masters' degree in business, nonprofit leadership or related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 10 years in progressively responsible leadership positions in social services including housing, employment, construction and other relevant experience.
- Supervisory and administrative experience, including program budget preparation and management, proven methodologies to gain greater operating efficiency and effective personnel management.
SKILLS, TRAITS, AND OTHER ABILITIES IMPORTANT TO THE WORK
- Strong track record of demonstrated leadership capability.
- Ability to make sound decisions, inform the board, manage financial implications and ensure timely implementation.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving. Evaluates and anticipates any issues/problems that may arise both internally and externally. Rapid resolutions of issues are identified and executed.
- Demonstrated racial equity and inclusion competencies.
- Familiarity and comfort with urban communities and diverse cultures.
- Knowledge of community related support services in housing, employment and construction.
- Strong financial analysis capacity to create and understand business budgets and appropriate project allocations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Influential, articulate and accomplished communicator with the ability to communicate with clarity, urgency, and power to diverse internal and external audiences, including board and staff members, communities of color, business, policymakers, philanthropic investors, and social sector leaders.
- Strong organizational and project management skills. Ability to manage both strategic and tactical responsibilities, complete complex tasks, and deliver on a timely basis.
- Thrives in a high-paced, multifaceted environment and is eager to contribute to a growing and evolving organization.
- High emotional intelligence and the ability to inspire trust and confidence.
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework for the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
Sabathani Community Center is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.