POSITION PROFILE: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – AMPERSAND FAMILIES
kp prime search, the retained search division of kpCompanies is leading the search for the next Executive Director for Ampersand Families. This is an exceptional opportunity for a strategic leader who values community collaboration, truth-telling and systems change. The Executive Director provides leadership and oversight of the human and financial resources of Ampersand Families consistent with the strategic direction and mission set by the Board of Directors.
THE ORGANIZATION: AMPERSAND FAMILIES
Ampersand Families provides permanency and adoption services to older youth and families who face barriers to equity in child welfare, and champions systemic changes that advance belonging, dignity and hope. Our vision is that every young person whose life has been disrupted by trauma and subsequent child welfare intervention will be restored to a safe, permanent family with an urgency that honors the brevity of childhood.
In addition to helping to create new adoptive families for teens from foster care, Ampersand Families provides leadership and vision in partnership with others to do whatever it takes to make the child welfare system work better for youth and families. We have a strong commitment to honoring family, kin, community and cultural connections in all aspects of our work. Our staff provides consultation to other child welfare professionals, provides continuing education and training locally and nationally, and advocates strongly for system improvements at all levels.
The Executive Director maintains Ampersand Families’ status as an employer of choice; maintaining a culture of excellence that advances the agency’s values of equity, belonging, dignity, hope, integrity and leadership. Ampersand Families is committed to speaking truth even when it is uncomfortable and strives to have a team that is representative of the youth we serve.
The position has ultimate accountability for the agencies 23 full time employees, including: three program directors, one permanency innovation and consultation director, and one finance and operations director. This is an exempt, full-time position. Normal work hours are 8am -5pm Monday-Friday with regular pre-scheduled evening and weekend hours. Key accountabilities include:
- Leadership, Partnering and Vision: Work with the board to ensure that the organization follows its strategic plan; clearly articulate direction to staff and collaborate with external partners to advance Ampersand Families’ mission and vision.
- Talent Acquisition / Development: Successful track record of leading and inspiring people, providing clarity around roles and vision, and developing people systems / infrastructure with an eye toward growth. This includes a keen ability to multiply results and effectiveness through others.
- Fund Development: Ensure that revenue goals are met each year, including maintaining sufficient funds in an operating reserve.
- Understanding of Child Welfare: Deep knowledge of child welfare system, adoption/foster care/children’s mental health or similar. Demonstrates an acute awareness of the pitfalls of the current system, with a willingness to work toward a more equitable and reimagined system.
- Promote Anti-racism: Ensure that practices, policies and partnerships reflect the agency’s commitment to equity and anti- racist action in all aspects of the agency’s work.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Executive Director ensures ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals. Other accountabilities include:
- Provide leadership to develop cohesive organizational, administrative and financial plans, policies and procedures with the Board of Directors and staff.
- Oversee design, delivery and quality of new and existing programs, products and services. Monitor and evaluate all services provided.
- Ensure that the agency has the staff resources necessary to carry out its mission; demonstrate innovation and flexibility in providing opportunities and support to staff.
- Set the tone for a workplace culture that advances equity, transparency, humor, learning, excellence and opportunity.
- Oversee creation and implementation of a comprehensive fund development plan that includes diversification and deepening of funding streams including but not limited to foundations, earned income, state and county contracts, individual donors, corporate giving and fundraising events.
- Guarantee that Ampersand Families’ resources are used within budget and in compliance with all contracts, donor commitments and laws.
- Serve as chief spokesperson and represent Ampersand Families in the community, building partnerships, funding opportunities and collaborations that advance the organization’s mission.
- Master’s degree, MSW preferred. License as required.
- 10 years of senior-level experience in a similar role or industry.
- 5 years’ experience in child welfare, deep knowledge of adoption/foster care/children’s mental health or similar.
- Successful track record of leading people and managing programs, budget and fund development.
- Ability to lead change in a complex environment with accompanying process improvement and project management skill/experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and salary expectations. You can apply in the following ways:
- Apply via email Joelle Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply by mail at: Ampersand Executive Director Search c/o kpcompanies, ATTN: Joelle Allen 5775 Wayzata Blvd, Suite 700, St. Louis Park, MN 55416.
- Apply on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2662282350/?capColoOverride=true
All submissions are received in the strictest confidence. Both kpCompanies and Ampersand Families’ are equal opportunity employers.