Reporting to the Director of Trading & Investment Operations, the Investment Analyst is a dynamic position that partners with the investment team at Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies. The Investment Analyst, Trading and Investment Operations, will provide trading and operational support while using analytical skills and industry best practices, to review performance reporting, conduct cash operations, execute trades, perform operational due diligence, create operational procedures, manage capital calls and distributions for a wide range of alternative investments, and assist with managing external relationships. This is a unique opportunity to learn the operations side of investments for a wide variety of asset classes on a global scale.
Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies refers collectively to two grantmaking entities, Margaret A. Cargill Foundation (MACF) and Anne Ray Foundation (ARF). The two foundations have separate boards and investment portfolios but share a common mission of providing meaningful assistance and support to society, the arts, and the environment.
- Margaret A. Cargill Foundation is a private foundation that came into existence upon Ms. Cargill’s death in August 2006. MACF’s assets are approximately $3 billion.
- Anne Ray Foundation is a supporting organization, which may make grants only to beneficiary organizations specifically named by Ms. Cargill. ARF’s assets are approximately $4 billion.
MACP’s well developed Philosophy of Grantmaking
underscores the values and guiding principles of Margaret A. Cargill by: using education and innovation as a means to achieve core purposes; empowering people to be self-sufficient; maintaining a low profile while meeting the needs of others; supporting programs that could have a broad impact, have socially redeeming values and standards, and that value life; and relieving suffering in times of disaster. As a core element of its philosophy, MACP invests in long-term relationships with key grantee organizations in order to find solutions that are consistent with the values of both parties.
Additionally, MACP is engaging in a diversity, equity, and inclusion process that includes:
- Building intercultural competency and emotional intelligence work at an organizational level, to include deeper learning and dialogue on racial and social equity.
- Increasing local racial equity grantmaking to fund local efforts to address systemic racism and social inequities; and,
- Reviewing each programmatic domain to more formally examine the role equity and inclusion currently play and can play in MACP’s grantmaking.
We are proud to offer a welcoming workplace that supports our employees’ careers, health, and overall wellbeing. We supplement that environment with activities throughout the year that promote collaboration, learning, and fun.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Assist with operational management activities for a multi-asset class portfolio including analysis, research, reporting, and portfolio administration
- Assist with conducting operational due diligence and manager monitoring activities, including review of underlying portfolio investments, verifying compliance with guidelines and documenting monitoring activities
- Review, analyze and reconcile performance reports prepared by third parties.
- Assist with executing trade orders and cash movements
- Assist with analysis needed to support financial reporting including gathering information, reviewing third party documents and assessing valuations
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of investment operating procedures
- Provide assistance with maintaining the integrity of investment databases and appropriate investment documentation
- Work collaboratively with finance staff to meet cash flow needs including developing models to project liquidity needs, monitoring available liquidity and developing investment orders to raise additional cash needed for operating expenses and capital commitments
- Assist in coordination of relationships with consultants, advisors and managers including monitoring contacts and planning upcoming events
- Develop reports to illustrate investment related activities and concepts
- Perform research and analysis on various investment topics as identified by investment department leadership or investment committee/board members; developing reports to communicate technical concepts and to illustrate findings
- Work with a suite of software systems to help manage alternative investments, including, but not limited to entering capital calls and distributions into the Burgiss suite of products and using the software to analyze data and provide it back to other team members as required
TRAITS, SKILLS, & ABILITIES IMPORTANT TO THE WORK:
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting, or a related field required
- School or work experience with consistent use of MSOffice software such as Word and Excel
- Coursework or work experience the demonstrates an understanding of financial concepts, terms, and benchmarks including knowledge of asset allocation theory and modeling, benchmark analysis and performance measurement preferred
- Technical knowledge with a desire to learn new technologies
- Ability to work independently to solve problems; proven analytical skills.
- Clear communication, collaborative teamwork and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work hands-on, delving into projects with a strong attention to detail and emphasis on producing a high-quality work product
- Proven ability to maintain the highest level of integrity and confidentiality in both internal and external relationships
Up to 10% both domestic and international
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position;
rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job
incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this description.
Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all identities, experiences, orientations, and communities to apply.