LOA, Benefits & ESC Specialist
The LOA, Benefits & ESC Specialist is a generalist supporting administration of HR services.
Responsible for leave of absence and benefits administration and delivering exceptional customer
service to our employees, managers and HR partners.
The LOA, Benefits & ESC Specialist must be familiar with and interprets the policies, plan documents
and procedures of Children's in order to make leave and benefit determinations, answer customer
inquiries and resolve any issues. The LOA, Benefits & ESC Specialist will be responsible for phone
coverage of the ESC line for leaves of absence and benefits support. Other repsonsibilities include
COBRA administration, life event status changes, benefits billing and retro benefit processing;
entering data into the operation systems; exhibit good customer service and de-escalation skills and
follow through within required time periods.
Education & Experience:
* One year HR benefits experience with a two year AA degree or three years HR background w/o
* One to three years of disability claims or leave administration experience.
* Knowledge of federal, state and local regulations and compliance requirements affecting employee
leave of absence and benefits programs including, but not limited to: FMLA, state and local leave
laws, Workers Compensation, health and welfare plans, retirement plans, COBRA and Qualified Life
* Strong understanding of and ability to administer leave cases and benefits in accordance with
Children's payroll practices, procedures and benefits plans.
* Ability to work with high sense of urgency and provide exceptional customer service.
* Ability to manage complex and escalated issues with confidence and results. Able to adapt to
changing and often ambiguous circumstances.
* Must maintain confidential information.
* Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
* PeopleSoft and/or Kronos experience preferred.
Content Item ID Description Proficiency
11314 Leave Administration (50%)
* Assists employees with leave of absence calls, leave intake and issue
* Administers leave of absence, short and long-term disability and/or worker's
compensation claims process in accordance with FMLA, company and labor
contract requirements, achieving customer service levels and metrics consistent
with the Human Resources mission and value proposition.
* Ensures coordination and appropriate transition between various types of
leaves, benefit plans, insurance policies, and company and/or labor contract
Page 2 of 2
Content Item ID Description Proficiency
provisions (i.e. as an employee transitions from short-term to long-term disability
benefits, ensuring that applicable benefits premiums are collected, other
earnings per the insurance policy are reported to the insurance company,
notifying employee that FMLA is exhausted, etc.).
* Makes certain that employees are paid and deductions are processed correctly
while on leave, including PTO donation payments.
* Administers benefits billing process and coordinates COBRA process when
employee transitions to unpaid leave status.
11315 Benefits & ESC Administration (50%)
* Assist employees with benefit questions, identifies and escalates benefits
* Benefit enrollment and life event change processing including status changes,
retro deductions and terminations.
* COBRA administration, including audit and production of vendor COBRA file
and monthly reconciliation.
* Back up Payroll and must have a general knowledge on all payroll related
functions, such as administration on time and attendance, payroll data entry and
be able to help customers on payroll related questions.
* Cover the Employee Services phone line; entering data into the operation
system (PeopleSoft, call logging, new systems developed); exhibit outstanding
customer service skills and follow through; share information in a teaching
situation; document procedures and help produce a scripted knowledge base.
* Coordinate miscellaneous shared office duties (mail sorting, ordering office
11316 Exceptional Customer Service
* Is committed to meeting and exceeding the expectations of internal customers.
Maintains exceptional customer relations while continuously identifying
opportunities for improvement.
* Communication Skills: Is able to speak and write clearly and succinctly in any
situation. Is able to convey messages verbally in an assertive, logical,
empathetic and understandable way.
AAA Knowledge Driven Care Delivery
*Provides services within the mission and vision of Children's.
*Implements the integration of knowledge into unit/department operation.
*Continues personal and professional development to enhance job related
*Children's Service Standards and Organizational Policies and Procedures.
*Children's Principles of Integrity and Compliance and Corporate Compliance
*Regulatory, accreditation standards, and job/department specific competencies
(Joint Commission, CMS, Patient's Rights, Mandatory eLearning, etc.).
AAC Optimal Use of Resources
*Manages time effectively by completing work within scheduled time, adhering to
break times, arriving for work on time, and assisting others as available.
*Manages resources effectively including supplies, equipment, and personal
*Takes responsibility to maintain and enhance job related competencies.