POSITION PROFILE: Vice President, Communications & Marketing
kpCompanies is leading the search for Children’s Minnesota
next Vice President of Communications & Marketing.
THE ORGANIZATION: Children’s Minnesota
is the seventh largest pediatric health system in the United States and the only health system in Minnesota to provide a full spectrum of care exclusively to children, from before birth through young adulthood. An independent and not-for-profit system, Children’s Minnesota serves kids throughout the upper Midwest at two free-standing hospitals, 12 primary and specialty-care clinics as well as six rehabilitation sites. Children’s Minnesota is the state’s only Level I pediatric trauma center inside a hospital dedicated solely to children. Children’s Minnesota is committed to its mission, vision, and values.
MISSION to champion the health needs of children and families. Children’s is committed to improving children’s health by providing the highest quality family-centered care, advanced through research and education.
VISION to be every family’s essential partner in raising healthier children.
VALUES guide the way Children’s Minnesota engages with each other, their patients, and their communities, they are as follows:
- Kids first. We are inspired by children — we channel their optimism, resiliency, courage, and curiosity into everything we do.
- Listen, really listen. Each person has a story to tell. We listen with compassion, ask meaningful questions, and build relationships with individuals and communities.
- Own outcomes. We are 200% accountable for providing extraordinary service. Tireless in our pursuit of excellence, we never stop learning or improving.
- Join together. We are all caregivers. And we are stronger when teamed with our patients, families, community, and one another. Super teams trump superheroes.
- Be remarkable. We are innovators, reimagining health care, and going beyond what is expected.
The Vice President of Communications & Marketing is responsible for developing and driving enterprise-level strategic communication and marketing plan that aligns with the organization’s strategic initiatives. This role provides inclusive visionary leadership
and strategic direction
that fosters innovation, excellence, engagement, equity, and supports the organization's mission, vision, and values.
This leader is responsible for fostering internal and external awareness and engagement as well as increasing Children's Minnesota's overall brand awareness and market presence. This leader serves as the organization’s executive-level expert and counsel to the organization while cultivating a highly-functioning, multi-disciplinary team for tactical execution of brand positioning and identity; public relations, crisis communications, and reputation management; marketing strategy; advertising; customer insights, digital and social; employee communications and engagement; physician/clinician outreach, referral development and physician/clinician communications, advocacy/community outreach; and donor communications.
The vice president leads the function by collaborating with others in the organization, partnering with the community, and engaging departmental team members. The role reports to the Senior Vice President, System Operations & Chief Strategy Officer for Children's Minnesota.
The vice president will lead a team of 3-5 direct reports with complementary expertise and 25-30 indirect reports, managing a multi-million-dollar budget for Communications, Marketing, Outreach & Physician Referral Relations.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic Leadership – This position is responsible for communicating the organization's mission, vision, and community work to various stakeholders and plays a creative and strategic role in sharing the Children's Minnesota communications and marketing strategies.
Specifically, the VP will be expected to:
Team Leadership – This position actively manages, recruits and develops staff (e.g. writers, graphic designers, production managers, and digital marketing professionals, etc.) as well as vendors to support and further extend the resource of the Communications and Marketing Department. The VP will be expected to judiciously source and manage the use of external vendors and contractors when required.
- Develop strategic communications, public relations, and communications plans to support the organization's strategic framework, goals & objectives including positioning, market, and competitive analysis.
- Develop and implement an integrated communications plan to advance brand identify, broaden, and increase the visibility of its services and build a strong community voice.
- Cultivate and enhance relationships with the organization's key audiences which include our children, parents, donors, community leaders, partners, the media, and the public.
- Create and execute innovative and inclusive communications, marketing, and public relations strategies utilizing traditional, digital, and social communication platforms.
- Partner with the Leadership Team to develop and implement an internal & external communications strategy that effectively incorporates the needs of all the people we serve, across multiple channels.
- Oversee all aspects of marketing and communications, including branding, advertising, special events, collateral materials, direct mail, email, sponsorship, and partner development, etc.
- Lead and oversee the organization’s website development (design and content), online and social media initiatives, monitor analytics, and usage.
- Oversee all aspects of public relations, including media relations and community relations;
Plan and execute media campaigns and advertising buys. Ensure consistency of key messages and brand identity. Track return on investment of media buys; Manage Children’s Minnesota brand across all internal departments to ensure continuity; Act as Staff Liaison to the Board’s Marketing and Communications Committee, and Prepare monthly statistical and descriptive reports on the Department’s goals and performance.
Specifically, the VP will be expected to:
- Recruit and manage a marketing and communications team that supports the development and implementation of the marketing and communications strategic plan.
- Build organizational capability by identifying skills needed in the Department and recruiting and developing staff in alignment with strategic priorities.
- Build talent by establishing and communicating performance standards and developing staff to meet those standards.
- Facilitate effective cross-functional teamwork with members of the Senior Executive Leadership team.
- Source and manage the use of external resources (e.g., public relations firms, advertising and marketing agencies, photographers, printers, digital media experts, graphic designers, among others).
--The VP will be responsible for all marketing and communications work generated by the Department. The VP will also be expected to create and manage Department budgets and interface with finance and IT functions to effectively manage the Department’s administrative processes. Specifically, the VP will be expected to:
- Be responsible for the effective operations of the marketing and communications function, including budgeting and planning.
- Manage and supervise Department staff, including writing annual performance evaluations and ensuring staff training and development.
- Direct market research activities to keep abreast of changing demographics and other relevant factors and to monitor emerging issues.
- Bachelor's degree required. A Master's degree in marketing, journalism, communications, public relations, or related field is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years' progressive and comprehensive leadership experience within communications and marketing, preferably with or in a medium or large organizational environment (e.g., 5,000+ employees).
- A successful track record developing and implementing comprehensive communications and marketing strategic plans within a complex organization, with measurable outcomes.
- A successful track record of developing, implementing, and integrating a full array of marketing and communications tools, working effectively across multiple channels.
- Previous team and large-scale department budget management.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and results.
- Experience and interest in driving equitable and inclusive communications and marketing approaches.
- Strong "executive presence" to interact successfully with the Board, senior leaders, and external audiences in delivering messages and driving strategy. Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills - appropriately created for and delivered to a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic communications, including public relations, reputation-building/management, crisis communications, stakeholder engagement, public affairs, earned media, and audience engagement methods.
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing and communications with solid experience implementing or directing various marketing, communications, referral development and customer experience tactics.
- Awareness of change management principles and the role of communications in change.
- Experience and interest in advancing communications and marketing approaches that appeal to and are accessible to diverse audiences, with particular attention to marginalized communities including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ, disabled.
- Ability to foster an environment that promotes professional growth and staff development and builds motivated, high-performing teams through effective leadership and mentoring; ability to develop a culture of trust, openness, collaboration, and mutual respect.
- Proven experience providing marketing and communications expertise, consultation, and guidance to senior leadership to establish and implement key marketing strategies and content in the context of the organization’s mission and values, and to advance organizational strategic imperatives effectively and continuously.
- Ability to guide the development of communication channels and tools that support quick, easy sharing of information with all internal and external stakeholders to promote strategic priorities.
- Experience in providing ongoing mentorship, consultation, and strategic direction
- A passion for Children’s Minnesota mission, vision and accomplishments.
- Marketing and Communications leadership experience in healthcare preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations using the kpcompanies.com online application.
All submissions shall be received in strictest confidence. Call or email Miquel McMoore: email@example.com
or 952-525-2258 with questions. Both kpCompanies and Children’s Minnesota are equal opportunity employers.